Frequently Asked Questions
- 1 Frequently Asked Questions
- 1.1 How do I change my name, picture or home page?
- 1.2 How do I get my own chat?
- 1.3 Can I delete my group?
- 1.4 Can I change my chat group name?
- 1.5 How do I find other people to chat with?
- 1.6 Is there anything I'm missing out on?
- 1.7 What are xats/days?
- 1.8 What are powers?
- 1.9 How can I stay safe online?
- 1.10 What do the colors on the visitors and friends list mean?
- 1.11 What are those hats on some users' pawns, and how do I get them?
- 1.12 How many friends should I add?
- 1.13 Can I erase my entire friends list at once?
- 1.14 How do I retrieve the password to my xat account?
- 1.15 How do I retrieve the password to my xat group?
- 1.16 What is $tealth mode?
- 1.17 What if I'm locked out?
- 1.18 What do the buttons on the user list mean?
- 1.19 Why don't my nameglow / hat / bump / away Powers work?
- 1.20 What if somebody is breaking terms?
- 1.21 How do I reset my ID?
- 1.22 What does "promoting" do?
- 1.23 What if the chat name I want is taken?
- 1.24 Why is there a minimum limit of 10 characters for registered names?
- 1.25 What are the official chats?
- 1.26 How can I get help with something else?
- 1.27 Any notable anniversary celebrations on xat?
How do I change my name, picture or home page?
To change your display name, click on it at the top of the user list on the right-hand side of the chat.
- Enter the name you would like to use (using your real full name is not recommended).
You can add your own personal avatar where it says "Picture" after having clicked on your name.
- To add your own image, simply upload the image to an image hosting website. Imgur is one of these, and seems to work well throughout different browsers.
- Get the direct link of the image that you have uploaded and paste it into the area that says "Picture" (Click your name to see the Picture field) then press "OK".
To add a home page, insert the URL below the field for avatars, right next to the house icon.
How do I get my own chat?
Can I delete my group?
You can't delete a group that you have made. The most you are able to do is reset it, make it members only and change the password. If you leave it inactive for 90 days or longer, it will be available for purchase by other users. If you have a chatbox embedded on a website that you own, you can remove the box from your site by erasing the HTML code.
Can I change my chat group name?
Unfortunately, you are not able to change the name of your chat group. You are able, however, to change the capitalization of the group name. To do this, click the "Edit" button on the right side of the page below your group, submit the group password, and edit the "Group Name" field. Otherwise, you can make a new group. To make a new chat group, click here.
How do I find other people to chat with?
Is there anything I'm missing out on?
- Find out what's new at http://xat.com/news.
- Add sound effects to your messages at http://xat.com/audies.
- Follow xat's official twitter for power releases and more.
What are xats/days?
xats are xat.com's official currency. To buy, click the "get xats" link on the smilie line. Days are how long you're subscribed, which allows for smilies in your avatar, glitter effects, and lets you use powers. For more info see xats guide.
What are powers?
Powers give you special abilities in the chat. These include blocking private chats from people you don't know, making your "pawn" different colors, or even allowing for more smilies and hugs. For more info see Powers.
Note: You need days to use powers.
How can I stay safe online?
Read Safety for more information on how to stay safe online.
What do the colors on the visitors and friends list mean?
For a full list of the pawn colors, you can refer to the Users Guide.
What are those hats on some users' pawns, and how do I get them?
- For a baseball cap, type (hat#t) in your name. To change the color, add # then the color code after it. For example, to make a blue baseball cap, you need the Blue power and type (hat#t#b). For a purple baseball cap, type (hat#t#800080) or (hat#t#rrb). You don't need color powers to use hex color codes such as #800080.
- For a top hat, type (hat#a) in your name. You can customize colors the same way as the baseball cap.
- For a small egg on the left side of your pawn, type (hat#e). If you don't have Allpowers, the egg will be black by default. If you do have allpowers, it will be golden. You can change the color to whatever color you want, similar to the other hats.
- Note: If you have Allpowers enabled and your pawn has the golden egg, you can not color it unless you disable allpowers.
- If you type (hat#g), you will have a black gift on the left side of your pawn. You can change the color to whatever color you choose to, similar to the other hats.
- Note: You can only use this hat if you have received at least one gift! If you have not received at least one gift, (hat#g) is turned into an egg instead of the usual gift.
How many friends should I add?
You can add as many friends as you like but there is no point in adding everyone you ever see, only people that you will want to talk to again. The more friends you have added, the harder it becomes to find the ones you really want to talk to.
Can I erase my entire friends list at once?
Unfortunately, you can't erase your entire friends list at one time; you need to unfriend each user one by one. If you don't mind making a new account, you can do that and erase your entire friends list. If you want to make a new account, right click on a chat and click settings, then click the folder icon. Select "Deny" to delete the content stored on your computer by xat, and click close. Then, refresh the page, and you will have a new ID. You can then register this new ID to make a new account. Return to the storage setting and select "Allow" to ensure xat can keep you logged in on your new account.
How do I retrieve the password to my xat account?
Go to the xat login page and click on "Lost password" near the top.
How do I retrieve the password to my xat group?
Click on the "Edit" button at the bottom right of the page, and enter your email in the second box on the next page. Your password will be emailed to the email you created the group with.
What is $tealth mode?
$tealth, or stealth, is when owners or main owners put the character "$" (dollar sign) in front of their name. This makes them look like a guest (pawn is green, and it doesn't say "Owner" or "Main Owner"). An owner in $tealth still has the ability to use all actions without revealing their rank. This is ideal for chatting with suspected rule breakers and seeing how they react to users who aren't mods/owners.
Note that mods or owners can click on your name and see that you can't be kicked or banned, and will know that you're an owner in disguise.
What if I'm locked out?
These are known as "pools" around the xat community. Pools appear when your chat has 60 or more users, to prevent too many users in one chat at once.
- You can also get pools on your chat group by purchasing and assigning Banpool and Rankpool powers to it.
Why don't my nameglow / hat / bump / away Powers work?
Please be sure you're typing in lowercase letters. "(GLOW)" won't work for Nameglow, "(Hat#t)" won't work for Hat, "(BUMP)" won't work for Bump, and "/AWAY" won't work for away.
What if somebody is breaking terms?
If a user is breaking terms, click their picture and click inappropriate at the top. If a chat broke terms, click Inappropriate at the bottom right. Do not report users or groups without a valid reason!
- If you've been scammed, report the user via ticket instead.
How do I reset my ID?
BEFORE FOLLOWING THESE STEPS, MAKE SURE THE ID IS REGISTERED OR YOU WON'T BE ABLE TO GET IT BACK!
To reset your ID, right click the chat box and click "Settings...". After that, click the folder icon and set the option to "Deny" storage. Refresh the page and right click the chat again. Follow the steps above but this time set the option to "Allow" storage and you will have a new ID. This also removes the alternative user profiles at the top of the user dialog when you click your name.
What does "promoting" do?
Promoting your chat puts it on the xat.com homepage, as well as "Widgets" and Group lists. It attracts a lot of users towards your group.
- Note: Please abide by promotion guidelines! See Promotion for more information.
To promote your group, see http://xat.com/web_gear/chat/promotion.php.
What if the chat name I want is taken?
If the chat is inactive for 90 days or more, you may purchase it here.
The price of a given chat group is affected by 2 factors:
Generally, the price is higher for more common words as the chat name.
The longer a chat has been inactive, the less it costs to acquire it.
Why is there a minimum limit of 10 characters for registered names?
Registered names are typically 10 characters minimum (18 max) to allow you to be creative. If you want a shorter name, go to xat.com/name.
What are the official chats?
Check out Chats article for more information about official chats.
How can I get help with something else?
Any notable anniversary celebrations on xat?
- Launching of xat chats - 17th of September
- xatech - 20th of September
- Trade chat - 17th of January
- Ajuda chat - 28th of May