What is it for?
xat Live is a custom feature that allows you to turn your group into a spectator chat for online events. It allows easy management of chats with large numbers [100,000s] of spectators. Applications include:
- Live Blogging
- Special Events
- Guest Appearances
- Questions and Answers
How does it work?
Members, moderators and owners are participants in the chat just like a normal chat. Guests are spectators who can view the chat but cannot post messages directly. They are shown on the user list as a number of spectators. Owners can approve messages sent in by spectators.
When you run a chat in live mode, owners can open up and view the live panel by pressing the live button (which replaces the groups icon next to the smiley bar). When spectators send a message, it appears on the live panel. Spectators' message icons allow to:
- add messages to the main chat for the participants to be able to discuss or comment on
- make members, allowing spectators to become participants (chat without any further approving)
- ban them so they don't see further messages from them
- delete messages
Activating Live Mode
If you are a main owner in a chat and would like to activate live mode, click on Edit your chat above the Sign out button and then click on Extra Features at the top left. On the Extra Chat Box Features section, under Other options, you will see a box that reads Live mode: 100,000s can watch the chat as spectators, check it and click on Update these options button at the bottom of the page.
Note: Live mode is typically not recommended for most chats as visitors may find it frustrating if they can't chat. It could, however, be used as a different type of members only chat. It could also be a last resort for your chat if it's constantly being attacked.
Ease of Use
- Familiar and intuitive user interface
- Built with Flash so no need for downloads to view your event
- Guests can become spectators and send messages without the need to create an account
Management and Control
- Easy management via the live panel
- You decide what is published to your site or who can publish
- The chat box can be easily embedded in your own site or blog
- It can be removed and returned to your site as easily as a line of text
- It can also be accessed on a xat.com page e.g. http://xat.com/ghosthunters (see Groups)
Reliable and Scalable
- Built on xat's messaging technology that currently serves millions of people each month