In order to provide the best experience possible for all visitors, we have listed a set of guidelines below that each user must follow.
Guidelines apply to all languages, and moderators may use discretion when enforcing these guidelines.
1. All languages are allowed
This is an international chat, therefore any language is allowed as long as it is appropriate.
2. Be respectful and do not harass or discriminate
Do not say anything that may offend someone such as discriminating, harassing, flaming or disrespecting a person, group or chat.
3. Do not share inappropriate content
Linking material of an inappropriate nature is not allowed. This includes sexual images, smiley combinations, or stick figures. Censoring a swear word by typing the swear word with a few omitted characters or asterisks is not allowed. Discussion of highly dangerous or unlawful drugs (according to US/UK law) is not allowed. This involves moderator discretion.
4. Do not advertise non-creative content or websites
Generally, posting images, videos, or other creative content is allowed, as long as the content comes from mainstream websites like YouTube or Imgur. Linking to things from the xat forum or any xat fan site is also acceptable. Other advertising is not allowed, except for in a user's homepage. Drawing signs to a homepage is not allowed unless the content in the homepage is also content that can be posted in the main chat.
5. Do not impersonate other users
Do not impersonate other users, namely xat staff, volunteers, or Chat staff. Posing as another user to get them kicked or banned is also not permitted. Impersonation is not necessarily using the same name and avatar as another user. An example of impersonation is when a user says they are a different user and tries to act like them, which can include using that other person’s name and avatar.
6. Do not request a higher rank
Asking to become a member or above is not allowed. Positions are decided by the main owner.
7. Do not beg or ask for free products
Begging for xats, days, or powers will not be tolerated. Begging for any currency unrelated to xat is even more unacceptable. You can either purchase xats or enter contests hosted on the community forum.
8. Spamming is not allowed
Smiley spam is over six smileys in a message or in a name. If others report lag, the user may be asked to change their name. Adding extra characters to a word is fine, to a reasonable extent. A moderator will warn you if they deem your messages to resemble messages of spam. Constantly clicking someone, resulting in tickle spam, is not permitted. Constantly erasing doodles is also not allowed.
9. Flooding is not allowed
Sending several consecutive messages with little content is considered flooding and is not permitted, this includes sending audies. The abuse of uppercase letters is also considered flooding.
10. The use of Size and Big is restricted
Do not use the Size power above level w7 or w77. Names with smilies can exceed this limit to a reasonable extent, but can not overlap text or names. The use of Size and Big (combined) above size level w6 or w66 is not allowed. If the use of either of these powers in an avatar cause chat text to be blocked, the size must be reduced or the avatar must be changed.
11. Selling or trading is not allowed, with a few exceptions
Users may request to purchase subscriber days, but only if the user is out of subscriber days. All other trading should occur at the Trade chat. Buying or selling xats, days, powers, identification numbers, or graphics is allowed only in status messages. Drawing signs to a status with the intent of bringing attention to the sale of an item that is typically prohibited on the main chat is also not allowed. Buying or selling any other product or service is prohibited. Buying or selling xat products for off-site currency is prohibited.
12. Drawing signs to the sale of xats is allowed under very restricted circumstances.
Only trusted Resellers or users deemed trustworthy by the current main owner are allowed to draw signs to the sale of xats for off-site currency, such as cash. This can only be done in a status. No other person may draw signs to the sale of xats. Users should take notice that resellers or users deemed trustworthy are not official resellers, and are not officially endorsed by xat; they are simply trusted users with a long history of safe transactions or verified by the main owner.
13. Do not cause disruption, troll, post inflammatory remarks, or facilitate drama
Behaving in a manner that disrupts the chat may result in a ban. Having debates about topics, even politics, is acceptable as long as the discussions are civil. A disagreement in opinion, or even constructive criticism, should not be considered disruption, but sending hateful or abusive comments will not be tolerated. Trolling will not be tolerated a long with flaming and fueling or creating drama.
14. All visitors must use a name of reasonable length or size
Visitors are required to use a name of reasonable length or size. Using a visible smiley as a name is acceptable. Moderators have the ability to use their own discretion when determining if a name is appropriate. Generally, using even a letter is fine. Using just a period, for example, is an example of an unreasonable name.
15. Do not discuss hacking or related activities
The discussion of hacking is strictly prohibited.
16. Making fun of users for purchasing xat products, or attempting to earn rank, is not allowed
Visitors do not come to be berated for their purchases, so do not make fun of users for purchasing xat products. Do not make fun of users who appear to be attempting to become a member at Chat. Their efforts are appreciated.
17. Moderators and owners have the final say in classifying offensive or inappropriate material
Due to having similar words in every language with different meanings, it makes it harder to ban/kick. If a word is inappropriate in one language but appropriate in another the word is only allowed if the context of where the word was used is also appropriate.
18. Obey the xat Terms of Service
Failure to comply with the Terms of Service agreement may result in a ban. The following topics are major areas to be aware of: Exposing personal information, abusing or teaching glitches, and phishing or scamming. Linking to, discussing, or even mentioning private servers of any kind is not permitted, especially ones that involve xat.
- A full reason is required for each kick. Moderators always need to include a reason when banning. The only exception is when you are banning raid bots.
- If a raid is occurring, use the /p protect mode. If that fails, use the /pr mode. Do not use protect if a user is unbanning themselves.
- Include rule violation information in kick reasons so that users can correct their behavior. Do not just give a directive and hope they understand their wrongdoing.
- A ban should not be issued if a user leaves the chat but would normally get kicked for the committed offense.
- Users are allowed to test smiley combinations at a minimal level as long as it does not disrupt the chat.
- Unprofessional conduct at other chats may put you at risk for getting demoted at Chat. This is handled on a case-by-case basis.
- You must be active in order to maintain your position. Activity is measured by being online frequently along with events.
- Consult a user of equal or higher rank when deciding to demote someone. In cases of clear abuse, you can demote immediately.
- Do not ban for long periods of time for measly reasons. A day-long ban may not necessarily be fair for all rule violations. Think carefully about what is fair and appropriate.
- Do not kick banned users unless they are rapidly clicking you.
- Moderators are required to give proof for violations that occur in the moderator’s private chat.