This networking site, known as xat, was created to be a fun, social place for everyone. Unfortunately, there are some users who come online with bad intentions of inflicting some type of harm onto others. This guide is here in order to give tips and advice to help you be safe online.
- You should never give out your personal information to anyone. (Including cell phone numbers, e-mail addresses, passwords, etc.)
- You should use a nickname, not your real name. Try using an appropriate one that doesn't attract the wrong attention.
- You should never agree to meet someone from the internet. Remember that they are strangers, and always remember to be careful of who you trust online.
- You should not include any personal information on your xatspace profile.
- If someone is making you feel uncomfortable, place them on ignore by clicking their name and clicking the Ignore button.
- Do not click links from people you do not know; it could be an attempt to steal your information.
- Most importantly overall, be careful who you trust; some people do not have good intentions.
Ignore and Banning
If you stumble upon a user who's making you feel uncomfortable, you may click their name and click "Ignore", or if you are in a private chat with them, type /t. This prevents the user from sending messages to you and unless you're a moderator or higher, you can't see any messages they send in chat.
Note: Ignore only lasts 12 hours.
If the chat has any rules against harassment, you may contact a staff member of the chat and report the behaviour.
If all else fails, you always have the ability to find another chat on xat.com/groups.
xat has implemented technologies to try and keep your personal identifiable information safe from malicious users. All of your personal information is secured on our own servers not accessible to other users. It is important to never go to hyperlinks that a malicious or even normal user has presented to you. They are likely trying to Phish you. We have confidence that by following this guide and using xat.com sensibly, you will be protected against hackers.
If somebody is using bad language, you may ignore them to stop receiving these messages. You can also click your name, and check "Hide inappropriate words". This will automatically replace any bad word with symbols and a gray background, to show that a bad word was used. Clicking this symbol will show the bad word, so only click if you're ok with viewing inappropriate words!
If you find a chat that has inappropriate content in the background, description, or anywhere on the chat, please confirm that it is in violation of our terms of service, and if so, click "Inappropriate" at the bottom right of the chat box and fill out the information. This will send a report to xat and we will take appropriate action.
If you find an inappropriate Profile, please click "Inappropriate" at the top right, and fill out the information. If they have an advanced profile (using me power) use the popup menu at the bottom left and click "Inappropriate".
This will send a report to xat, just like reporting an inappropriate chat and we will take appropriate action.
"What if a xat staff member was rude to me?"
Please ensure that the user was in fact xat staff. Genuine xat staff will not be purposely rude to users. Often users try to impersonate xat staff. All xat staff have an ID under 101 and will be shown as staff in the chat-room. If the user does not have this they are not xat staff.
If they want to prove to you that they are xat staff, they will go on an account that says "xat staff" when you mouse over their name.
Further Safety Information
The guide you have just read covers how to stay safe on xat.com. You may also want to check out these sites which has info on general safety tips which can be used on all sites, including xat: