This replaces the custom CSS styling that was used on Flash chats.
The library provides a list of user-submitted xatframes that are free to use by the community.
Submitting a xatframe
Adding a xatframe to your group
1. Go to the xatframe library. (Figure 1)
2. Click “copy” on any xatframe. (Figure 2)
3. Then, hover over "group" at the top right of your group, click "customize" and enter your group password. Alternatively, visit the edit group page.
4. Add the URL to the "xatframe" field on the appearance tab. (Figure 3)
5. Save changes and the xatframe will be live on your group.
Note: You must also use an outer background when using a xatframe so that there is a fallback if users have xatframes disabled.
Making your own xatframe
If you want to create your own xatframe, you will first need to have somewhere to host it. For this, we recommend you use https://github.io as it is easy to set up and is already pre-unblocked. If you wish to use your own domain, you will need to have it unblocked by making a ticket.
For more information on setting up GitHub pages, you can visit their website.
Note: If you have chat tabs enabled, you must minimise the navigation by clicking "close" to access the clickable area. If there are no chat tabs, events will be enabled by default as there will be no navigation below the chat.
You can disable or enable xatframes through an automatic pop-up window or by hovering over "group" at the top right of a group and clicking "xatframe". You can do this for all groups (global), the current group or both. (Figure 4)
Changes will not take effect until you refresh the page.
You must ensure the xatframe you use complies with the rules below, even if taken from a third party.
Note: xat reserves the right to change these rules without notice.
IMPORTANT: Failure to follow these rules may result in your chat group being deleted or permanently delisted and having all of its media removed. xat may also apply a block to your account, depending on the offence.
- Must be suitable for viewing by all ages.
- No IP trackers or content that can be used to track IP addresses.
- Do not store any cookies etc. without permission.
- No chats to be embedded in an iframe.
- Do not use animations that may be intrusive to the chatting experience.
- Flashing images should not be used.
- Do not use malicious code of any kind (e.g. with mouse clicks or key presses).
- No commercial adverts or content of that nature.
- Your background must comply with the xat Terms of Service.